Have you ever just hated going into work and asking yourself, “Why am I doing what I’m doing?” Well, you’re not alone. Approximately 75% of all people hate their jobs leaving only 25% of us that love what we do. As the owner of the best Boise hair salon, I coach my stylists on their Y. I honestly believe that a team leader of a business should seek better understanding when it comes to their employee’s individual Y’s. This allows each team member to soar in their full potential without becoming stagnant no matter what they do!
Reconnecting with ourselves and realizing our true passions take time. Personally, I have been in the hair industry for over 23 years and it was only recently in 2015 that I finally found my Y. I love helping younger Boise hair salon stylists flourish into top stylists. Don’t get me wrong, I love hair but most importantly, I love watching my stylists grow into their own. I also love serving and sharing knowledge!
So how exactly do we connect with our Y? Ask yourself some questions on what you enjoy doing most! Sometimes revising Y helps us understand why we wanted to work in the field we are currently in. Keep in mind though, your Y will also change as you get older.
So what is your “Y” and why is it so important to find it?
Great question! Your “Y”:
- Is why you do what you do
- Your whole purpose of being here
- Fuels your success
- Is what you are the most passionate about
most people are totally unaware of the gifts and talents they have…
What can I do with my time that is important?
Ask yourself how you can positively change something in this world. Think and talk with people about it. Open closed doors.
Write your values and interest down!
Just like goal setting, writing your values and interests down will help you crystallize your vision. What are your talents and passions?
How do you want to be remembered?
How you want to be remembered is the key when it comes to resolving your reason for being. What do you want people to remember the most when you are gone?
Flow of time
How does the time flow when you are doing something? Do you find yourself staring at the clock waiting for the hands to move or does the time fly by?
Don’t confuse purpose with passion
Just because you are passionate about something doesn’t mean it’s fulfilling you. Be aware of this!
Remember: Your purpose is your own
While you may share a common purpose with someone else, it’s important to remember that it is your own. Always make sure you make space for this.
Devise a plan of attack
Create a timeline with dates. Research options and start to volunteer. Create action!
Find organizations or people
Through the help of others, groups of friends or organizations often help you achieve your purpose.
Remember to just get out and do it. Try everything! Get your head out of the game and go with your heart. Do things that you are passionate about (this can be a multitude of things). Doing so will help you find your true passion, your “Y”.
Passion + Daily Action = Purposeful Life