Just as our hair, and skin suffers during the dry winter months, our hands and nails suffer too. Nails thrive on humidity. Unfortunately however, Idaho maintains a cold, dry climate during the winter, and by spending time indoors with the furnace on, your nails can become dehydrated and brittle. Keep in mind that unless you wear gloves 24/7, your hands get almost as much air exposure as your face! But, just as the seasons change, so should your hand and nail care routine. Below are some cold weather, Boise nail salon tips to help rescue your hands from the effects of winter:
Boise Nail Salon Tips For Maintaining Healthy Hands & Nails This Winter
While you’ll certainly want to slip on a cozy pair of gloves or mittens when you spend time outdoors this winter, there are a few other things you can do to maintain the health & beauty of your hands and nails. These Boise nail salon tips are beneficial during any season but especially vital during the winter.
- Trim, don’t cut hangnails.
- Avoid hot showers or baths.
- Limit use of hand sanitizers.
- Use moisturizing hand soaps.
- Keep nails shorter in wintertime.
- Massage nails and cuticles with a cuticle oil.
- Push back cuticles, rather than cutting them.
- Exfoliate your hands and nails before moisturizing.
- Wear rubber gloves when doing dishes or cleaning.
- Avoid heavily scented hand creams that can further dry out your nails.
- Limit your use of polish removers, especially those that contain acetone.
- Wear cotton gloves at night while sleeping (after putting on hand cream).
- Slather on a high quality hand cream everyday and at night before bed.
How Undone Salon Can Help Your Hands & Nails Look Their Best this Winter
At Undone, we are a Boise nail salon that offers Boise manicures & Boise pedicures to exfoliate, moisturize, and condition your hands, and nails to keep them healthy and looking their best during the cold, dry months of winter. We also offer cuticle and paraffin hand treatments as a fabulous treat to moisturize your hands and nails.
Despite applying all of the above mentioned tips, you may find yourself with a split, cracked or torn nail. If that happens, come in to see us for a needed repair. Remember, healthy hands & nails can make a huge difference in the beauty of your Boise manicure, so visit us often, and especially during the winter!